Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Our "New" 1964 Shasta...

SUCCESS!
Trailer Watch 2009 is over for us. I will give the quick version of the story. I found this Shasta listed on Craigslist Friday afternoon. I contacted the seller a few hours after it was posted. They only wanted a $1000 for it. The only thing was it was 6 hours away in Southern Illinois. They replied quickly and we made the long trek on Saturday. We left Wisconsin at 8 am that morning and returned with trailer in tow at 1 o'clock Sunday morning. That was one long day.

A bit about the trailer... It is a 1964 Shasta 16 SC. It was only owned by one family. We met the original owner. He bought it new in 1964 not far from where he lived. The Shasta is in good shape for the most part. Of course there are a few issues with water damage. I would be surprised if there wasn't. It is missing the iconic Shasta wings and will have to find replacements for them. The back window was taken out and an AC unit was stuffed in there. That will go and will have to find a replacement back window. The only other change is the original boomerang cabinet handles have been replaced. No sweat there either. We look forward to the restoration.

I won't go into to much detail here. I hope to launch another blog dedicated to "Louise". That is her new nickname Molly gave her. It was bought in '64 in St. Louis. St. Louis...Louise. It makes sense to us.

I hope to have the new blog up soon. The reason the for the seperate blog is so that there isn't an overflow of trailer information on this blog. I'm sure that there are folks that don't care for the trailer stuff and just want to see Mid Century stuff normally shown here. I will keep the restoration and other trailer information over there for those that want to see it. Here are a few quick shots taken today. There will be much more on the new site.
So stay tuned for the trailer blog...

13 comments:

totalrod2 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
totalrod2 said...

I'm jealous. Can't wait to see her fixed up! BTW, I couldn't help but notice the old Caddy in the background. Is that what you'll be using to tow the trailer?
Bryan

Jonathan said...

Congrats on your finding.

I have never travelled with or spent time in a trailer like yours before. The closest thing to being in one of these trailers was when I was visiting a friend and he was using it as an escape from his family, even though it was parked on the driveway at his family's house.

Home Deconomics said...

how exciting! I can't wait to see how you fix it up and restore it!

Heidi Ann said...

What a great deal- I am SO looking forward to seeing more photos as you restore it. I am really happy for you that your search has ended successfully!

Gunnar and Sherry said...

Welcome home Louise!

totalrod2 said...

By the way, I thought you might get a kick out of seeing some of these trailers (many dating to the early 1930's)....
http://www.funkyjunkfarms.com/john/trailers/

tom (at) azzoo2 (dot) com said...

Mi madre is employed by the factory that is making reproduction shastas (in Centreville, MI)... i'm not sure about the availabilty of parts, but i may be able to get you contacts to get re-popped wings. drop me a note.
your faithful reader, tom

Monica said...

there is one by me and the guy wants a lot more!!!!!! it is GREAT, I drool over the one here!!!!!

there are so many sites out there with cool pictures!!!!! CONGRATS!

Mary-Frances said...

Congrats! I will miss the craigslist trolling for trailers tho! :)

Pam Kueber said...

Very cool! Mr. Retro Renovation won't let me get a trailer til I finish up, like, 25 other projects sitting waiting....Congrats!

Tikimama said...

She's a beaut! Looking forward to reading updates on Louise!

Debbie said...

You are so lucky!!!